Saturday 21 July 2012

Photo Box Elephant

I saw this on this website and thought it was too cute for words. I don't have any kids or any on the way but I think it would be perfect in a kids room or even if you just like elephants. I think I will try to make another animal with a different colour but I tried to the elephant first as blue is a colour that my little sister likes and I made it for her.
http://bustedbutton.com/2012/04/27/button-elephant/
Check out that website there are some other really neat ideas if you are a crafting king or queen.
 This is my complete elephant, now the image isn't that good but you can't see the silver sprouting from the elephants trunk. The original elephant have less structure than mine, but I think it still turned out very well.
I picked up the buttons from spotlight for about $9.00 but they were a variety of buttons and there were still heaps left over. I use double sided tape to stick down all the buttons.
The first step is to choose the image you want and erect it to the scale that you need and print it out.
Step 2: Attach the image to a fine cardboard, maybe a cereal box width or just even some hard card just so when you paint over your image that the paper doe not completely fall apart.
Step 3: Paint the image, I choose a grey blue as we had that in the shed and it turned out quite nice. To make a brighter elephant I suggest a brighter colour.
Step 4: Arrange the buttons onto your card after the paint has dried. (I suggest to do this before gluing so that you can see the ratio of big to small buttons and not group too many bigs or smalls together.
Step5: Glue or stick the buttons down (to check what buttons aren't glued down at the end turn upside down and see if any fall off.
Step 6: The frame box, I purchased from bunnings for under ten dollar. There is glass so when painting be very careful, Windex will clean paint off the glass if the paint is acrylic. I painted it white to make it stand out.
Step 7: Paint the cardboard and when dry attach your animal in my case an elephant to the card.
Step 8 : Add details to your elephant, for example I put silver on the bottom and as though water is sprouting out.
Step 9: Place cardboard back into frame and TA DA!!!

Tips: Try to put newspaper in the glass to protect from the paint. Make sure that your cut out is basic and can be easily recognized without the lines.
I suggest getting one from a drawing book for kids.

1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome! Good job!! :) thanks for the shout-out <3 Happy buttoning!

    ReplyDelete