Monday 16 July 2012

Toilet Paper Flowers

Hello, One of my favourite art and crafts was using old toilet paper roll. How many times do they just go into the bin and be recycled. Hello, One of my favourite art and crafts was using old toilet paper roll. How many times do they just go into the bin and be recycled. From this website and some others, I got the idea to make my own art. So the key items you need for this art is either toilet rolls or gift wrapping rolls to make smaller flowers. I used gift wrap rolls for this artwork. You also need a glue gun, glue, craft glue, paint, paintbrushes, ice cream lid to put the paint onto, beads, ruler, pen and scissors.
The basic concept came from this website but I added my own twist onto it.

http://www.growingupcreative.com/2009/10/eco-kids-craft.html


This is a very easy design, that uses just a plain canvas. I got the canvas from spotlight it was under ten dollars but if you need a canvas for cheaper you can get some from the reject shop or if you want to go even cheaper just attached the artwork to the wall to cuts some costs. The paint I used was the wall colour of my mums wall to match it correctly, before you buy paint make sure to check your  shed or where you keep your paint cans to check for paint that you could use. This is a cheaper way then buying paint when you don't have to, but if you need a little paint don't go to a craft store as they can charge over $15 dollars for a small tube of paint. While at Kmart or the Reject shop you can buy paint for under $5 that is just as good as well as acrylic so that it can be washed away with water, which is safe for kids.

This artwork was to match my mums room which was a light blue with a gold accents to it. I love the gold beads on the flowers to make pop out more. I only used one gift wrap roll that was 75cm long, I cut it into 1cm lengths. From there I painted them all gold, and then using the craft glue to attach the individual gift wrap cardboard to make a flower from 6. The flowers can be made with as little as four or five as well as a flower with 8 petals. I like the six flower petals as it is easy to make with the smaller cardboard rolls. I also find it easier to individually paint each petal rather than after u finish the flower you paint them. It may take longer but this way the inside is painted completely and if any are not painted properly then you don't have to use it. The easier way to apply the beads are with craft glue, it is also best to attach the flowers to the canvas by using the glue gun as well.

TIP : When placing the flowers if you pick them up and put a small pencil mark where the flowers you want to place them that way when you pick the flower up to apply the glue you can put it back in the correct position.

Also it is a good idea to place the flowers on before you glue to see the design that you want.

Make sure that when you glue together the flower that you move them after you glue so then they don't stick to the paper and you loose the paint or the newspaper doesn't get stuck to the painted petals.

Buy the beads first to match the colour, because a lot of paint can not be as bright against the brown toilet paper or gift wrap rolls. If using a light colour, apply twice to make it brighter or only once to get a more rustic look with the brown coming through the colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment